Saturday, February 24, 2007

The type of magazines I read on a regular basis range all the way from trashy gossip magazines to my dad’s subscription of Field and Stream. Whatever I can get my hands on or find laying in front of me, I pick up and start perusing through. My favorite magazines, however, are US, People, GQ, Maxim, InStyle, Vogue, and Cosmopolitan.

Typical for a girl in her 20s right? Well, maybe not the men’s magazines, which happen to be the best, in my opinion. Working in the men’s department at Nordstrom, we’re constantly told to stay up on our reading in fashion and have subscriptions to these “bibles” in each department. I love the sassy (for lack of a better word) attitudes that the writer’s have and if you actually check out more than Eva Mendes' "girls", you’ll notice that they have very well-written articles on world issues.

A more recent addition to my collection of magazine subscriptions is Sactown, which might sound lame at first but is a very eclectic read and makes you feel proud to be from here. It spotlight’s local “celebrities”, covers events around town and has fun features that are enjoyable to read. Along the same lines, I really like reading the Granite Bay and Roseville magazines that are always stuffed in my mailbox.

While it’s not actually considered a magazine, I am also admittedly addicted to “TMZ.com.” Most people might criticize this mindless and gossipy website but I find myself checking it at least two times a day to get up to the minute news about celebrities. It sort of serves as an escape from my busy life of work and school, like a dumb movie does for others.

While I have my favorites that I make a point of reading, I’m just happy reading any magazines at all. I am always pleasantly surprised after reading National Geographic or Home Inspector while sitting around the house or waiting in the doctor’s office. Plus, it’s always refreshing to read a political candidate’s take on social security instead of why Britney Spears shaved her head and a beat a photographer!

2 comments:

Michael J. Fitzgerald said...

I think we will have the editors - at least one of them - at our full class meeting in April.

At least I'm working on getting them to visit class.

Michael J. Fitzgerald said...

Oops... I forgot to say which editors! Sactown (Cosmo's editors are busy...)