Monday, February 12, 2007

Scuba story status (say that three times fast)

Here it is in all it’s glory… blog number two (which should probably be blog number 5 or ten if I was caught up with my classmates). I vowed to myself to jump head first into the world of blogging this upcoming week, but until then, here is an brief update on the formation of my first story.

To fill everyone in, the story I am working on is going to focus on scuba diving in local lakes versus oceans. It will not be a comparison but more of an exploration at why lake diving can be a fun alternative to the ocean. I also plan on briefly discussing some of the local lakes that divers can visit if they are interested (which they should be after reading my story!)

I’ve only skimmed the surface of everything I plan on including (and better get going since the deadline is a short 8 days away), but I have found out some interesting information I am going to include. Most people don’t realize how amazing of an experience diving in lakes can be. Lake Tahoe (if cold) has a breathtaking visibility, which is hard to find at dive spots on our coastline. The gear required and dangers of diving are very different from those of the ocean. The high altitude of Tahoe requires a whole separate training course because of the many hazards.

Also, when people think of Folsom Lake they usually cringe and picture the brown “soup” that starts to have a funny smell after the temperature hits 90. However, there is a whole world underwater that’s waiting to be discovered. There are many different types of fish and a lot to be explored. A lot of scuba diving certifications take place at lakes because it is convenient and inexpensive.

As far as reading materials are concerned, I have a stack of scuba diving magazines along with my training guide from when I received my certification and a book, cleverly titled, “Scuba Diving.” I have already stuck my nose into a few and plan on lugging them around with me for the next few days while I continue my research process.

Also aiding in my research are a couple diving instructors from Dolphin Scuba who regularly take students to dive sites at local lakes. I am in the process of interviewing them via email and am waiting for replies from other avid divers from different dive centers/shops in the area.

Rereading this blog has made me realize two things. The first is that I have a lot more work to do if I plan on making the deadline. The second is that my story sounds really dull from what I wrote but I’m hoping that my story will make people realize that there’s a whole adventure waiting for them right under their Ski Nautiques! Here goes...

No comments: